As the originator of this thread I want to first thank everyone for convincing me that there will be no ill effects from protecting my bore by placing a piece of tape over the end, I'll probably use black electricians tape, as I have that in my pack anyway for taping my tag to the antlers.

Secondly I want to stick up for Jeff who is certainly a good sport, I would have lost my cool a long time ago. I haven't been here long, but from what I have read, Jeff post a lot and is a very enthusiastic student of the game. An internet forum like this is certainly a place for esoteric discussion, and I can see his point that in close quarters hunting you should take every detail into consideration regardless of how low the odds are that it will really effect anything. I have been a duck hunter my whole life and I am quite anay when it comes to drab colors and camo. Getting back to the tape, if I had my choice of colors, I wouldn't use white tape for the same reason Jeff states even though there probably isn't one chance in a hundred that it would really spook a deer, but if I have a choice of dark unobtrusive versus white, why take the chance.

I know a lot of this was just poking fun, but it seemed like a few of you were borderline mean spirited about it. I just wanted to say that I am one who appreciates Jeff's input as being thoughtful and eager to contribute on one hand and humbly defering to those he knows have greater experiance on the other.