just realized this thread is many pages long & I have yet to post anything related to the original topic...

tape on zee barrel....

I guess i've done it more often with the muzzle loader than anything else, not that it couldn't bennifit me during regular rifle season too..

I guess for ML I do it because once I'm "loaded" with powder & bullet anyways, I like to keep a cap on the muzzle.

But with rifle I'm in & out of the cabin, switching rifles.... walking rifle, deer stand rifle.... etc, and when ever mine come in from hunting the action is open for 3 reasons, respect of others (shows easy visual proof of safe unloaded fire arm) 2, safety in itself (self explanitory) and 3, air out the tube & be able to visually check for obstructions. I can't air out the tube with tape over the end, so I'd be pulling it off at that point.

If I used tape all the time on my repeaters, I'd be taping all the time, tape it up, pull it off, tape it up, pull it off...

It's a damn good practice & I applaud those of you that take the time to do it. If conditions warrant it I'll do it too, but most of the time I don't.

Something clever here.