I remember as if it yesterday, it was 1968 I had turned 14 had killed bucks 2 years running with a old single shot 20 gauge. This year I had a 30-30!

Hunting with my uncle charlie he had pushed 3 does my way, they kept looking back down the trail, sure enough a six point buck was coming! That was my first buck with a centerfire, one shot broadside thru the heart. He ran down hill 40 yards and dropped!

The GUN, I can remember the day, the feeling and pride of having my own rifle. My mom (dad had passed away when I was 7) took me to a local gun shop and purchased a new Winchester 94 30-30. Money was tight and I had worked cutting grass, etc to pay half the rest was my Christmas gift. The price was $67.00 I handed over my half and home we went.

I hunted with that gun thru high school, college and the first couple of years while getting started in my career. It was replaced with a Ruger safety tang 30-06, put in the back of the closet until giving it to a friend for his cousins son. Another young man growing up without a dad...

Ted