Reba you seem to have gotten a ton of crap here. GSP's are in general, intelligent and loyal. They are protective to a fair degree, They are strong willed and they require activity a run, not a walk a run of 20+ minutes everyday or they are "hyper" in the house. They are curious and affectionate too.

As to size the standard is 55-65lbs and 24" at the withers for a full grown male. Not huge dog but no lightweight either.

Any pointing dog that is hacked to or won't run bigger than 30-40 yards is worthless just like the ones at 1/2 mile on the GPS. Planted birds will hang around until woke up. Wild birds you just can't say most just won't hold for a 4 wheeler or for the 10 minutes it takes to walk the half mile to the dog. Most covers people have permission on aren't that big any way.

Brits are smaller in size, smaller running in general and more to maintain coat wise.

I know the others will be here to rail at me but I just hunt wild pheasant, prairie grouse, huns and quail in KS, NE, SD and MT from September through February. I don't run trial of any kind and yes I have hunted with my friends and their dogs who do. FT lines no matter the venue are not guarantees to big running, good noses or wins. Training makes a difference too.

For my money a GSP is the way to go. Expect good to better than average nose, a 250 yard average run distance and good manners from a reputable breeder. Train the dog right and put them in birds and you'll be golden for a decade.

Last edited by Planemech; 04/16/09.