Tonk just doesn't realize that Brits are better then GSP's... But he's learning.... hahah... Just don't try to convince me anything is better then a brit! ;-) ...... On a more serious note, there is nothing wrong with EP's or EP's. Everyone has their personal preference. I will admit, i'm a Brit guy because I grew up with them. Tonk is a GSP guy. There is probably a million EP and ES guys out there as well. I will agree with dfcjr. A pup needs to be with its owner a lot when its a pup. It will form a bond that can't be broken. Doesn't matter what breed it is.

The thing about bird dogs is that there is a lot of dogs out there that haven't had any training but their owners think they have the best dog in the world.. Ive been there. That was one of the Brits I grew up with. She hunted on pure abiity alone. I watched that dog amaze me more then any other dog Ive hunted over. Unfortunatly for her, she never had the training she deserved because we were weekend warrior bird hunters, and we didn't know any better. But that dog cemented my love for brits.... I just wish I had that Brit now, because she was an amazing dog. Since then Ive learned what really makes a great bird dog. I'm sure there is a bunch of great dogs that will never run in a Trial, but could easily win one. It doesn't matter if its a Brit, GSP, EP, ES, Vizla, Pointing Lab, etc. The best thing about bird dogs is that we, as owners, love what we do. Id love to hunt over Tonks GSP's. I also love hunting over my uncles Tiger Mt. Pointing Labs. But no matter what, I love hunting over my pups the best. And if my pups were GSP's, Ep's, or Pointing labs Id still love hunting over them the best. And thats what makes bird dog hunting so amazing. You could give me a 3 week Governor tag Elk hunt in Arizona, and Id still take a 4 day bird hunt in Florida............ Ok, maybe not but you get my point. Thats why I don't mind arguing with Tonk, becuase the passion we both have for our breeds is what will keep bird hunting around for a long, long time. And in all honesty, it doesn't matter who has the best dogs. What matters is that we are both very passionate about bird dog huntng, no matter what breed we are hunting over.

Dave. You are right. If we don't start protecting some or our hunting rights a little more our kids won't have the same opportunity's that we have had. I grew up hunting in the Yakima Valley in Eastern WA. Unfortunately the fields I grew up hunting are now grape fields for wine. We then went to the Columbia Platteu out of Royal City, and then headed even farther east to the Palouse hills. My best memories of bird hunting were sitting in the passenger seat of my dads truck at 4 in the morning listening to country music with our pups as we headed to E. Washington to hunt pheasants. I hope I get to pass that down to my kids.

Last edited by jetjockey; 04/29/09.