I had a big response typed up, but I don't really want to kick this hornets nest, so I'll sum it up quickly.

I've had a 5.7 handgun and I'll own one again. I own a PS90 now. My neighbor is in the secret service and carries a P90.

I've shot the round a lot, and I love it. Matter of fact, I bought 1000 more rounds yesterday.

What does it offer that's not available already? The ability to make multiple, fast shots, on target.

You've clearly taken the "5.7 is worthless" side of the debate, but as a frequent visitor to the various 5.7 forums, I can tell you there's just as much data out there supporting the cartridge- i just don't have the energy to dig it up.

There are various bullets and loadings available for the 5.7. If you want to expend energy quickly, you can do that. If you want it to penetrate body armor, it can do that.

The police department in my home town carries 5.7s, and they love them too. There's something to be said for 3 20 round mags on your person.

I have a hunch that in coming years, if FNH ever decides to let other manufacturers make their ammo too, you'll continue to see the popularity of the 5.7 rise, including with PDs and swat teams. I'll bet you a milk shake that in 10 years the 5.7 will be even more popular than it is now. When I bought my 5.7, nobody had really heard of it. Now, they're in every gun shop.

No, it's not for war. Home defense, swat, PD, plinking, varmints, and having fun? Absolutely.

Last edited by dryflyelk; 11/16/11.