Originally Posted by BT927
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
And those 62 gr bullets were going a lot faster out of m16's, than any 5.7-launched bullets...

But I do wish folks would quit saying the 5.7 is a challenge to reload, 'cause they're getting me intrigued, and I had really planned to go buy other stuff smile If I did buy one, though it would probably be an AR57 upper for an AR15 smile

They were also being used at much longer distances, so no, they weren't going a lot faster.

Sorry, wrong answer.

Average engagement range in the urban warfare engagements in Mogadishu and in Iraq were significantly shorter than anticipated previously. Engagements in urban environments are typically under 100 meters with a large percentage of engagements occuring at ranges under 20 meters. At those ranges the 62 gr green tip is travelling at close to 3000 fps. Infantry (Army and USMC) units retooled their tactics rapidly to deal with these much-shorter engagement distances and as soon as possible ammunition better suited to unarmored CQB targets was substituted.

Originally Posted by BT927
Furthermore, they were purportedly failing to tumble/fragment, whereas 5.7x28mm bullets do not fail to expand/tumble/fragment (per any gelatin test or any shooting). In short, that comparison is useless.

Where do you get this stuff? Anybody who claims any bullet/ammo type never fails is dissimulating, or has no real world ballistics experience. ALL ammo fails at one time or another. One of the objectives of terminal ballistics testing is to find the line where failures occur. The results tabulated by the FBI and other ballistics testers are based on multiple shots into gelatin for EVERY round they test, because they expect a certain amount of failure as a matter of course. Failure may consist of failure to expand, failure to yaw (FMJ or monolithic bullets), precipitous/premature expansion/fragmentation, failure to penetrate 10-12" of gelatin, etc. All bullets fail at some time or another. The proportion of bullets that perform as desired to bullets that fail is what matters.

If you are actually claiming that 5.7mm FN bullets do not as in NEVER fail in gelatin testing, then you are either lying or your sources are lying, or you're ignorant of the full scope of the tests. And if bullets can fail in gelatin, they can and do for damn sure fail in the real world. It's a matter of when and how they fail that's important.

So clear up your language and your claims, newbie. You're either lying or careless with your claims here.

I've had a couple of interesting callbacks from people who are puzzled by some of your Houston PD claims, BTW. Ballistics data will be forthcoming as well. I'll post more info as it comes to me.

Oh, and I've been asked, how much of your annual income did you say is based on sales of 5.7x28 ammunition and/or firearms, again? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by DocRocket; 11/20/11.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars