Originally Posted by TexasRick
Very informative thread (as well as the "other" 5.7 thread). What I've learned is (according to the "experts here) is that my C96 Mauser (7.63x25mm) is the "perfect" deer handgun.

While I have actually killed a deer (and a couple of hogs) with the C96.....I never knew just how "deadly" it was. Always though, in my ignorance, that my .44 Magnum was more effective, but after this thread I have seen the light.

In fact, since the 5.7x28 is such a "deadly" deer/hog/human killer.....my 7.63x25 (which is a much heavier caliber) is probably overkill and should be reserved for game like big bears or moose!

while i know the above was somewhat in jest, I think, needed to add this. I have a number of 7.62x25's running from the c96 to other pistols. I used that round to penetrate, yugo, ammo, the steel top of a 50gallon drum which then, the bullet, went through the air tank of a compressor, and bulged the other side. I was quite impressed. Now a number of years ago we went over, sammie, that is, a bunch of glock 19's for the iraqi police. They promptly sold them in the black market. Going back to the 7.62x25 round because it would penetrate car bodies better than the 9mm. So the old tokarov is still widely respected in various circles.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO