Doc,

Just like anything, we look for data that supports our own beliefs. As I've said before, I frequent several 5.7 message boards, and the more time goes by, the more people rave about this thing. I've seen countless tests and first hand accounts of what this thing will do. It appears this doc roberts guy doesn't like the 5.7, and that's fine. There are a whole bunch of people who like it...and the number is growing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

And this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7%C3%9728mm#History

Excerpts of note:

The 5.7�28mm cartridge was designed in response to NATO requests for a replacement for the 9�19mm Parabellum cartridge.[9][11] According to the NATO requirement, the new cartridge was to have greater range, accuracy, and terminal performance than the 9�19mm cartridge.[21] Additionally, it was to be capable of penetrating body armor.[21] FN Herstal responded to the NATO requirement by developing the 5.7�28mm cartridge and two associated weapons: the FN P90 personal defense weapon (PDW) and FN Five-seven pistol.[9]

and

In 2002 and 2003, NATO conducted a series of tests with the intention of standardizing a PDW cartridge as a replacement for the 9�19mm Parabellum cartridge.[11] The tests compared the relative merits of the 5.7�28mm cartridge and the HK 4.6�30mm cartridge, which was created by German small arms manufacturer Heckler & Koch as a competitor to the 5.7�28mm.[11] The results of the NATO tests were analyzed by a group formed of experts from Canada, France, the United Kingdom, and the United States, and the group's conclusion was that the 5.7�28mm was "undoubtedly" the more efficient cartridge.[11]

So, "a group of experts from canada, france, the UK, and the US" think that the 5.7 is superior in performance to the 9mm and the 4.6. But, doc Roberts disagrees. Ok.

I don't carry a 5.7 simply because of it's size, but I would love to. I wouldn't feel handicapped or undergunned in the least carrying it. Matter of fact, I'd choose it if I could. We all know shot placement is king; I could probably put 3 shots of 5.7 into a small target in the same time it took me to fire 1 or 2 .40 shots.

I know we'll keep butting heads on this one, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I think as more time goes by, we'll see who wins. My money is on the 5.7.