whitepaper: first off, thanks for posting the youtube link.

Second thing: I see this is your first post, which suggests that you've come here to make your case after hearing about it from a friend. Welcome to the 'Fire; but please don't presume you know me, or the people I know, by your reading of posts here or elsewhere. Draw whatever conclusions you care to but don't expect me to respond to your speculation.

If you have been reading this thread carefully, you will have read my post several weeks ago in which I expressed my sincere regret for having started this thread without sufficient evidence in hand to prove a point, one way or another. You will have further read that I am in the process of an in-depth research project which will prove to me (if no one else) whether the 5.7x28 cartridge is a suitable one for self-defense and LE/military use.

As for the video link posted: thanks, again. But I will reiterate comments I made about these "balllistic research" videos on a different thread. The videos are interesting, and they are to some degree entertaining, but they should not be taken as "proof" of anything. The gelatin blocks were shot at too high a temperature, the placement of denim was not according to protocol, and so forth.

This is not to say there isn't useful information in the videos. Since you didn't take the time to summarize the results (which would save a lot of time on the part of readers of this forum, next time you want to post video as "proof", do us a kindness and summarize the data so those who don't have the time or inclination to sit through 25 minutes of video can review the information).

So, summarizing the video results:

1. All rounds were chronographed 5 times.
2. All rounds were tested in gelatin only 3 times (7 less than the minimum number required for validity in most test protocols).
3. Protector bullets all fragmented dramatically. Fragments penetrated 11" to 14".
4. SS190 bullets all penetrated 14" to 15+", and did not fragment.
5. SS197 bullets exhibited dramatic fragmentation again, with fragments penetrating 14-18".
6. S5 bullets did not fragment, and penetrated 16-18".
7. S4M bullets (3 of 4 test shots were shot through denim, unlike the other tests, so comparison to the other tests is really not possible) penetrated 11-15", without fragmentation.

IF, and it is a big IF, the 3-shot tests truly represented the manner in which the ammunition will and should perform in real shootings, IMHO none of these rounds would be acceptable for LE/military use.

Two of the five rounds tested demonstrated fragmentation into many small pieces, very much like a varmint bullet. Real world use has shown that varmint bullets work well on varmints, but work poorly on armed felons, which is why all LE ammunition for the past 25 years has been designed to hold together so that the greatest proportion of the bullet's mass penetrates the most deeply. A bullet that penetrates through armor and then dissipates its force in 100+ pieces thereafter isn't going to get the job done.

Three of the five rounds presented did not fragment, but they did not expand, either, nor did they fragment into 2 or 3 large pieces. I have done analysis on several LE shootings where failure of bullets (5.56 caliber) to expand/fragment has been a major contributing factor to the failure of said rounds to stop the violent actions of the felon receiving those bullets.

In sum, these videos show me bullets/ammo that I would not care to take into combat myself.

But I am continuing my research and will report findings when they are ready. In the meantime, as I stated before, I have withdrawn any general criticisms I may have made against the 5.7mm round. Specifics will tell the tale soon enough.

Last edited by DocRocket; 12/18/11. Reason: corrected the comment on the S4M demonstration

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars