Originally Posted by BarryC
Forget all the harmful drugs and archaic allergy shots, SRT works and is non-invasive. Find a doctor who uses it.

Description of SRT

I encourage my patients to seek alternative therapies whenever they feel they should, and have done so for many years. I have come to hold acupuncture and traditional Chinese herbal therapy in very high regard in this manner. Likewise acupressure and Asian massage techniques.

Homeopathy has been shown time and again, both in my experience and in the literature, to be hogwash at best, and criminal negligence at worst. Same with Naturopathy and a host of others.

Most of the modern hodge-podge therapies which seek to blend several older alternative modalities and then package them in some fancy high-gloss package with a modern-sounding name ("SRT", for example) have proven themselves to be 1) very lucrative for the practitioner, and 2) objectively ineffective. I'd never heard of "SRT" before I opened the link you posted, but it has all the usual earmarks: its proponents attack allopathic (Western) medicine in general, laud alternative medicine of all types, and roll together a bunch of therapies that individually haven't got a very good track record. Sorry, I'm very skeptical about "SRT"; but that doesn't mean I am rejecting it... I will look into it in more depth and detail.

Urticaria, or "hives", is a nonspecific dermal reaction to inflammatory mediators in the skin. It can be triggered by allergies (most common) and specific drugs, but also by emotional/psychiatric factors. The cause is often multifactorial. This is why it's sometimes hard to treat. You need to find the allergens causing the reaction and eliminate them, which is challenge. I've ceased to be amazed at how many people with serious allergies to cats, for example, refuse to get rid of their cats; you have to clean up your house and yard and your truck. Etc, etc, etc. And because there is almost always some level of emotional/psychiatric component to these sorts of skin reactions, anything that relieves stress will improve symptoms... so a quack remedy that YOU BELIEVE IN will often give you temporary relief.

So, to cut to the chase: 95% of people I have seen with urticaria respond to a basic regimen involving lifestyle modification, reduced exposure to allergens, and basic drug therapy like OTC antihistamines and low-dose steroids. If that is ineffective, consultation with an allergist is the FASTEST way to get to the bottom of the problem and fix it. Targeted desensitization injection therapy is an amazingly effective and inexpensive way of reducing or even eliminating allergies, and it is only available through a board certified allergist.

Of course, if you want to spend more money and time and suffer for a longer period, by all means explore every cockamamie "alternative" therapy you wish. It's your body, your money, your time, and your suffering, NOT mine.

But if you truly want to get better, get thee to an allergist.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars