Originally Posted by BC30cal
Dave;
Thanks again sir for sharing a fun, family project with us - as others have mentioned this one brings back some very fond memories for me for sure and will be one I'll eagerly watch.

One of the farm trucks back in the day was a '78 250 with a 390 in it and we had a '76 150 with a 360 and an '80 with a 400 in it too. The 400 decidedly our least favorite motor, but we kept them all stock too.

For the folks advocating stuffing a Cummins into your son's pickup I can only say that the only way I'd go down that road would be with full, FULL pockets. eek

The strain on the rig's front end changes everything when one stuffs in that much more weight and of course the entire drive train would be under "different" pressure too.

Anyway Dave, much as it pains this diesel engine guy to say it, I'd likely stick with a very similar motor that had a mild massage to bring out it's best.

All the best to you and your fine family Dave and thanks again for the grand thread and pleasant memories.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, are you getting any of this tropical weather? I'm loving it!

Your points are very good (I think they are good because they align nicely with mine, lol).

Any engine swap becomes a slippery slope. As per your point, the 12 valve would likely lead to a dana 60 front axle to help support it, then a new spring selection.... vacuum? No vacuum on a boosted oil burner, so add a vac pump for vac operated accessories. It gets hard to stop, all are slippery slopes but some are steeper.

I really do like the idea of working with the 335 series engine. For wiring, for coolant pluming, brackets, mounts, exhaust routing... Everything!

Originally Posted by mathman

That's the mild, modern cam part. Something like the mildest Lunati Voodoo for example. The lobe designs available now will increase cylinder pressure and improve torque and response over the lazy lobes of the stock design. More power, response, and mileage. Getting some ignition timing in at lower rpms will accentuate the effect.

I can get aboard with that line of thought as well. I think (if you can find then) a set of federal mogul (TRW) L2466F pistons would bring us up to 8.5:1, a little trimming from the head and or deck and we'd be at 9.

It's no secret that Tim Meyer right here in MN can hook us up with a stroker kit and even heads if we like to perk the 335 series up to 450+ hp if we have the cash.

But I'm of the opinion that we could likely unleash a reasonable amount of power from the 351 CI engine for a few bucks and it will be dependable and as economical as we can hope to achieve with a gas engine, 4.10:1 gears non overdrive with 35" tires.

I'm thinking 275-300 hp

Originally Posted by horse1

255/85/16

+1, I'm a big fan of that tire size, it's what I want on my plow truck.

Originally Posted by ringworm
[Linked Image]

1972 F-100 w/ 302 Windsor.
118k original miles.
I'm the 2nd owner. My paternal GF bought her new. I grew up in it.

Beautiful.

Originally Posted by White_Bear
I have some parts for that 351M

A .060 over block that has been decked.
Ported, polished & shaved heads
400 crank, rods & .060 over pistons
loomynum 4bbl intake & carb
some ignition upgrades
headers

In fact all of the parts are assembled under the hood of a '79 F250 parts truck.

Cheap if interested.

Like Redneck said, giving these engines some wind can really wake them up.

If you serious, I think yah maybe. grin

Something clever here.