Originally Posted by northern_dave
Hi Scott.

I can take pictures later this morning, I don't consider anything that's rusted through "minor rust" that said, this one is the best of 3 mid-late 70's ford trucks we own.

But still the fact remains it is ate through all the way over both rear wheels and in the bottom corners below tail lights.

One of the outer wheel houses is also ate through. I could have purchased patch panels but I feel this is the right way to do it on a truck that will be used for hunting/fishing and winter driving.

We will take extra steps to prevent rust from occurring in the future.

Back sides of panels, bottom side of the truck etc will get special rust preventive coatings. Stuff it never had from the factory.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. I couldn't really tell how much rust there was from my smartphone screen.

10-4 on treating the backside of the panels. It's a damn shame that nothing like that was done at the factory. I recall Dad's '77 ,(nicknamed Black Diamond)having rusted through the side at the top of the WW's, rusted through cab floor door corners and at the bottom rear of the back WW's.

Old Black Diamond was a beat to crap wood hauler that I occasionally drove to high school. It had the 351M and topped out at about 85 mph. I recall having the pedal to the floor and watching a buddy cruise by me in his Chevette. That's some embarrassing chit and hard to live down. blush

Anyway, thanks again for clarifying. Love these old Ford bodies, even into the early 80's and am looking forward to seeing how this one looks when you roll it back out into the sunshine.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile