First new truck I bought was a 77 F250 4x4, 4 speed 351, jade green. Certainly was not overpowered but that motor was very reliable for the 80K miles I had it. I put a set of headers on it that perked it up fairly significantly and improved mileage noticeably. My brother had the same motor with headers and an edelbrock/small holley that really helped in the power dept.
One problem I had with the truck was the spring inside the front hub that engaged the front axle when you turned the hubs, had two break over time and or not engage because of too much grease, etc. Most troublesome when you are already stuck in a snowdrift during spring bear season, only to find that you only have rwd truck (empty, naturally). Happened again the night before opening day of deer season, when I couldn't get up a loose rock piece of road to a previously scouted spot.
When it was all working it was pretty good in snow and could pack a load without complaining.
Truck got sold to help fund the wife staying home with the kids through their childhood. One of the better decisions we made, at least for us!