Originally Posted by T_O_M
Repeatable, no. Got lucky once. Turned out I was aiming at the wrong thing. Murphy's Law I guess.

I was about .. 10. I had a Winchester 1906 "gallery" pump .22. My great grandfather and I were hiking his water line looking for cracks, leaks, or other explanation why he suddenly had nothing coming out of the tap. We were up in dark woods .. heavy fir canopy with a lot of underbrush. Grandpa said "shoot the crow". I looked around, didn't see it. "Shoot the crow." Kept looking. "Shoot the crow." (He was starting to sound impatient.) Finally, skylined (yeah, I know, but ... 10 year olds with 90 year old adult supervision shouldn't argue) though a small hole in the canopy, away on a ridge I saw a lone bare snag with just one limb sticking off and way way out on that limb was a little bump. Not knowing what else to do, I lined up, then started raising the front sight. I had no idea how much to hold over, that was 3-4 times as far as I'd ever shot in my life. Pulled the trigger and after a short pause, the black bump appeared to fall off the limb, flip over and over as it fell, and disappeared. Holy CRAP.

Then grandpa said "ya missed" and pointed to a raven that was about 40 yards away flapping madly away. He never saw the thing I actually hit.

Looking at a map later, I'd put it just shy of a half mile ... 700 yards is about right.

Tom

Everybody who has shot much has a crazy story about a crazy shot. Have heard hundreds and have no doubt they are true. Always enjoy them. Maybe the forum needs a another topic Crazy shots, or something were they could be told.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old