Born in 1979, but grew up in Spain (hardcore Right then) and Peru... There was no PC bullsheit there, now it is a little more for show, but still not to the craziness here.
My father is an intelectual, but did a lot of manual work at home, and praised effort above anything.
We didn't lack or need anything at home, but nothing was given freely.
I fished from what my grandmother taught me, and hunted as I grew older, all on my own. My father is not opposed to it, just not attracted to it.

Anyway, to the point, a very macho friend of mine wrote a very machodriven essay in highschool (private british school in Peru, creme de la creme, very liberal in which we could freely speak our minds, but respectfully. Also a tough disciplinary system, which may or may not have included physical punishment sometimes crazy ).
The essay said something that children should be raised by women while men work. Our literature teacher reamed him, very politely but firmly, explaining that children become puzzies if they only see the mother. They need a manly figure to grow up to and emulate, to learn from.

That is what is lacking in these generations, manly figures, fear or being assertive so not to offend, and bending over because it is PC. I praise effort and initiative in my kids... We live in the city, but still find ways to get muddy, scrape their knees catch fish and shoot.