Tree Mutt, had some leftover handloads with Lil Gun and 158s I found, from when I had a Marlin, they did 2050 in it....

Not sure on speed, but God Bless the blast and recoil in a M65 LS 3" was something! 145 STs as someone mentioned might still be a good overall round, not perhaps as good on stats as a 125, but one might think it could penetrate deeper if needed... I don't know.

Bob, I bought a stash of XTPs for Deer hunting. Not the best for SD, though I would reckon the SJHP 210 and better yet the RP 170 SJHP would be Darned nice for SD work, was Sierra also making a 170 in the past? I know they should hit 1400-1600 in 4-6" bbls.

To clarify, as a few might have been confused on my original post. The topic/question was not for Carry, but simply when or where you might normally use a full sized auto, whether a 1911, or full sized Glock, etc. - ....as no doubt a full sized L or N framed Smith in 4-6", or similar would be big and heavy. I was thinking for keeping in the auto, or house. Open carry - I long ago had a M29 and others, loaded up the belt does start weighing down, though you know you can handle about any chore needed. If going for a walk or just a carry gun for open carry as a sidearm, not primary hunting - I would likely pick a G20 or similar over a 29/629 though I have much respect for the N Frames and what they do with good loads.

Although the recoil and blast in a short 357 was much greater than a 9mm, I shot it about as well, though I was using SA mode. I would venture a 110-125 mid-range load would be much better in shootability and still get work done.