Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by TreeMutt

I don't think many gun writers today would agree with Elmer.

It has to be taken within the context of the time. At the time he wrote that book, today's autopistols weren't even in someone's fevered dreams, those pistols mentioned were all that were available, except for some foreign stuff from WWII.

The new pistols available today can rival any revolver's reliability, and I suspect are less likely to need a tune-up or rebuild before even a good Smith roundgun.
Context is important. Can a Smith N-frame go crazy numbers without getting beaten to crap like a Glock or M&P (or a good 1911, for that matter)?
No, they don't operate at the pressures that a Magnum operates, but there's sure some wear and tear on 'em, and we won't even talk about getting out of time, or having the yoke get stretched.
I like sixguns heaps, but my eyes are wide open on the subject.

N frames (even 357's) had a tendency to batter the end of the crane in high volume shooting, remedied by either stretching the cylinder arbor or installing shims to correct headspace. I suspect some of this was behind the 'durability package' Smith introduced in the 90's.

I have also been known to bust a trigger pin or in fast DA work with heavy loads in a 4" Model 29-2.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ