Very good feedback. I agree on the 357/125 comment above on 2-legged. On deer, I've dumped deer with a 1050 mv load using a M29 and 240 hardcast SWC, and a 357 using 158 - though in a rifle.

No doubt on deer bullet selection is key, and shot placement matters, as with any round. In a handgun I would tend to use a 41 in a revolver on deer, but 44 Sp or RM, and 45 Colt would do just fine. If using a 357 Handgun, I would shoot heavies, likely a 180. Layne Simpson seemed to dote on the 180 Federal HP load......out to 100 yds or so. A 10mm would make me happy in a semi.

But back to SD....whatever one picks, indeed one darn well would behoove them to get very familiar with it. I agree with others, some areas, "Capacity/Firepower" is not as much a concern in normal day to day situations, but environments and situations vary. And we see change occurring over time....so it surely sells many hi-cap and more ammo.

Then again, as to Single Action vs DA mode on a revolver, well odds are a person very experienced has time to cock If they want as they draw it out, but up close and personal a DA is perhaps best on the first. As to a well-place shot vs capacity, well, just like hunting, it's always best to make your best shot, your 1st....but being prepared to continue follow-up as necessary. The 357 fans - (I see alot of fans of K-frames - Bill Jordan loved the M19) - well when a bad guy takes a decent hit, they usually lose interest. Cannot argue the stats.

I think what would maximize the effectiveness of semi users, especially those who use high capacity handguns, is to make all shots count, and not let ammo substitute for placement. It's easy for shooters to spray and pray and we see that even in LE situations, a mag is dumped fast under stress, rightfully so, but the more you connect the better.

Talked to a local cop friend recent, he was just picking up a P320 for duty, it came with several mags, some very high capacity. His off-duty carry is a P250 in his pants. His research on actual shootings indicate not alot of difference in a 9, 40, and 45 on the "stretch Cavity" so he just goes for capacity, and the plan to double-tap every time, as it's the only sure way to put someone down he said. Now I would fathom this is for the three semi rounds above. A 357 can be 90+ percent with better ammo.

Not a one size fits all for many reasons. Many good posts here, with what works for each individual. I do like and see pros/cons to both platforms, depending on the situation.