Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Ruffed grouse are a great game bird.

Sometimes they act dumber than a fugkin rock. Will stand there and take fire. Other times they flush wild 40+ yards out.

They may be my favorite eating bird.

They might very well be dumb, I don't really know. But if they are dumb, they have fantastic instincts in heavy cover as you would know. They are masters at letting you take that 2'cnd or 3rd step to where you are past them at a bad angle and they have a tree between you and them that they can take off directly away from.

That and their ability to go from zero to 60 in .095 milliseconds. They are the most challenging game I've ever hunted when in the cover they typically are holed up in. Walk and walk up and down hills in heavy cover to get 2 to 3 flushes an hr when it's GOOD. Out of those flushes I was lucky to have a remote chance at 1 out of 4. Most I either never seen or just got a brief glimpse. The flush itself with them is half the success.

An undetected ruffed exploding from your feet will definitely get the heart pumping. I don’t know if they come out faster than quail. My own experience says not. But they usually do so in cover and are flat fuggin’ gone in a flash.

A covey blowing out can be just as exciting. Multiple birds hauling azz in different directions. Following up is usually a pretty simple affair with quail. Not so with a grouse.

Those grouse about killed me once in NW PA when deer hunting. Climbed up over some boulders to get to another spot, just about at the top one flushed from below one of the rocks, just as I got my balance back after nearly falling between two VW sized boulders another flushed from the base of a tree growing in the middle of the rock pile.

got my heart to beating it did.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?