Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Walking around hoping to flush a grouse, partridge or pheasant has become my favorite type of hunting. Used to really be into whitetail and mule deer buck hunting but I gradually drifted away from that and the last few years have only hunted birds. I know guys that wouldn't waste their time looking for a bird and I know a few guys who only hunt birds.

I guess ideally a guy would have a drilling and focus on birds with the off chance of getting a shot at a big buck. That would be paradise.

But back to the original thought....

How many of you guys really anticipate upland bird hunting?

It's when I come back to life. When we could get OTC deer tags in NV I always carried a drilling. If I went deer hunting I also shot chukar, quail, and blue grouse. When chukar hunting instead, I often popped a nice buck the bird dogs booted out of thick brush, where I would have walked right past him.

It's illegal to use dogs to hunt deer, but I was ALWAYS chukar hunting. whistle whistle whistle

You could no doubt take full advantage of hunting with a drilling, Sam. If I could afford FJB gas I'd bring a couple out for you to try and help thin your sharptails and pheasants. wink

Blue grouse with Kreighoff drilling:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Chukar taken with a drilling: I got a small mulie buck a week later here, but I didn't have a camera.

Bobwhite and a great eating little doe in OK a while back, taken with the same drilling the same afternoon. .

Nice, L2S and great multi bag.

I didn't have a drilling but was ready for coyotes with a 22-250. Yep, it was deer season too. A 55 gr SP to a bucks neck works.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/25/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin