Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by troutfly
Originally Posted by troutfly
Bird hunting is my favourite hunt. Getting to old to haul deer and elk out of the bush without a quad. Most landowners here won't allow you to drive across the land, I can't justify owning a quad for the odd trip to the mountains.
Upland and waterfowl seasons are both long here, plenty of geese in particular but most years the Sharptail and Hun numbers are pretty good. When I do head to the mountains/foothills, it is usually Sept/Oct, perfect for ruffies and spruce plus trout with a light fly rod.
Tomorrow afternoon, I'm finally going to have a bird dog again after 5 years without. Adopting an 8 year old Chocolate lab that has a solid hunting background.
Current owner just can't get out anymore, life got in the way apparently. Was going to pickup a Britany or GSP pup in the spring but I'm thinking that this might just be the best option for the next few years. I get a great dog, he gets a great new, happy life/home. Win Win!
Jeff

I picked up my new dog on Monday. We haven't been hunting yet as I'm running drills in the yard to see where he is at. Getting to know each other sort of thing.
So far, great dog, a bit rusty from not hunting since last year. Listens/obeys commands well. Seems to have a strong prey drive. Hoping to get him out in the field next week if the weather changes. We need a cool down to get the birds moving. Have seen a few good coveys of Huns while out scouting for geese. Can't wait to get him working the birds. Found out he is dynamite on Ringnecks, season opens in a couple weeks......
He also loves to sit in a blind, working the geese on field hunts. (We don't have much water here so almost all our waterfowling is field hunts.)
Life is good!
Jeff
Good deal.

Puppies are cute but old broken in dogs are the best dogs. There’s nothing like the excitement of a new or new to you dog and spending time connecting over yard work.

Thanks! We are having a blast getting to know each other. Once things get worked out, my hunting partner will be doing the shooting while I handle the dog. I can't shoot this Fall as I had shoulder surgery a few weeks ago. Doc said no shooting for 6-8 months. Plan is to more than make up for it next year. Still seeing it as a win just working my new dog.
Jeff