Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Geno, if I was you I’d be a mountain quail hunting SOB.
I chased them around Happy Valley a few years ago. Got several but they made me work for them, no doubt.

Other than that, I am an equal opportunity uplander.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have even known to carry a shotgun when going in for a 2nd load of bigger critters.
Cool pics bud,

yeah, if I could hunt them in this area, within 100 miles or so, I'd certainly go after them. Unfortunately, they're not on approved list and although we're within their range, I personally haven't run across any.

I'm just checking now on the CDFW page to see if grouse is open in the Warners or up the hill from me. Fall turkey is not until Nov I believe, but I might have that wrong. By that time I might be hunting frozen turkey, in the store or in the woods.

100 miles?
That is surprising. I figured they were most everywhere in N Kali, as they’re also in NW Nevada and S Oregon. The habitat shown in your pics sure looks like they could live there.

Good luck with grouse and turkey, regardless.

I’ve seen plenty of them not 20 miles from where Geno lives. Always wanted to bring my dogs and hunt my friends place there, but between the stupid regs in Cali about guns and ammo and the joy of carrying a dog in a semi with a small sleeper, it never happened.

My apologies if my communications weren't clear. I know they're within 100 miles, and Dutch tell me your secret spot, but we can't (legally) hunt them in this area. Last I read the regs, I think it's at least 100 mile drive to get to an open for hunting area.

Only ones I've seen locally are the California quail, as in a covey of about 40 I spooked out by the woodpile this evening when I went to turn on the trail cam out there for the night.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?