Stray, the area extends from slightly south of Hermosillo all the way to just south of the Arizona border (Caborca), west to the coast, and about 60 miles east (don't hold me that area exactly). We hunted about 80 miles NW of Hermosillo twice). Hermosillo is definitely the hub. I think it has more to do with well managed, not over-hunted ranches than a particular area. Hunts can be had from many outfitters for $8500. On my hunts down there the temps ranged from about 40 in the am to 80 in the afternoon. The weather was simply fantastic. On my first hunt when I was fortunate to kill the 212" gross, my buddy killed a 200" gross 6x6, and the other hunter killed a 170" buck. On my last hunt there I killed a 170" buck, one guy didn't get a shot, one guy who'd never shot a muley killed an extremely old, wide, heavy 2x3, and the last guy shot a 175" buck. I'd say odds are probably 30% on 180" bucks, and very slim on bucks 200" or better. I liken it to whitetail hunting in Canada. All you see are the pictures of the huge bucks killed. You never hear about the hunters that didn't see anything to shoot, or that killed a 140" buck. You have to be very careful down there who you hunt with. It can be a real crap shoot for sure, but there are some good, honest ones. Hope that helps some. With all that said I'd love to go back.

I might add, the big mulies love the brush infested flats, coues love the hills.

Last edited by JGRaider; 01/17/09.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.