So has anyone had pack stock shot, or harmed by predators before?
Rock Chuck, you seem to know a thing or two about goat packing... any other concerns with goats? I mostly used Alpines and Oberhaslis when I was younger, but I had a big line of Alpines, and most of the does would weigh over 200 (not fat), with the wethers going 220-240 or so. I don't really like the idea of the meat breeds, like Boers, because of their coats and I've never had a cooperative, quiet Nubian.
I left the horns on the ones I raised for packing, but I especially worried about the Oberhaslis being mistaken for deer(same concerns with a Toggenburg). I was told the horns would help them cool off because of all the blood flow (same idea with the Nubians and Boers with big floppy ears).
I actually like the idea of goats (although, I'd have a hard time selling my hunting partners on the idea, but f them, if they're mine and they don't have anything, they'll learn to like them). What else would you be concerned about with small pack stock like goats? How do they handle severe cold? Did you ever have to blanket them? I was in California with mine, so that was never a concern.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter