I am curious about the Mustangs; we only had one come through the place and it was a more of a pet. A worthless pet at that. Hammerhead, long back, no give at all to the pasterns, etc. Could kick and bite though. But I knew folks who had some fine stock from the govt programs, thats a nice looking one in the photo. Are mustangs like wives, either very good or very bad?

Well... Most people will throw in a Pat Perelli sp? CD and start in on 'em... they soon decide it isn't worth but the price of AlPO. Not the way you do it.

Here's the cliff notes.

If you have a BLM horse from the range you gotta remember they are a flight animal and havn't seen many 2 legged things that have done anything nice for em. It is a by far slower process. Also, not a 1 or 2 hour a day thing. Once you start school there are only certain times you can "call it a day". Then you are right back at it the next day. My wife has more patience in that regard than I ever will. There were quite a few 10-15 hour days. Everything I mean everything is done from the ground first until it is SOLID. Then just a bit more. Then you begin the sideline and take a few good full hours of just testing the waters. Then get your best snubbing horse. Preferable one that out muscles or out weighs the Mustang by a bit. Then you test the waters. If there is any hitch or hole right back to the ground work.

It is a slow tedious trial. But in the end we never gave one up. They for sure arn't for everyone. I havn't seen many pards who started em right wish they hadn't, nor been eager to give em up.