Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm not convinced that appys have ever really had a set confirmation other than color and stamina. They were bred by the Nez Perce Indians and they wanted color. Their horses were pretty mixed for body type but they had some really tough animals.

Maybe?

I tend to think that the Nez Perc knew what they were doing.

Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis and Clark Expedition wrote in his February 15, 1806 journal entry:

"Their horses appear to be of an excellent race; they are lofty, eligantly formed, active and durable: in short many of them look like fine English horses and would make a figure in any country."

"some of these horses are pided with large spots of white irregularly scattered and intermixed with black, brown, bey or some other dark color."

Appaloosa Horse Club itself estimates that only about ten percent of the horses owned by the Nez Perce at the time were spotted.
Many believe that the spotted pattern was an after thought after the trend was established.

There is one clear fact, most foundation breed Appies will have half the hoof problems that AQHA's will have.

Another item for a think, about 1-in-10 to 1-in-12 Appies are also traceable to President Grants studs from Istanbul, the Ranger Horse, and that is purly a 'blood' breed.

Any one interested, here is a link to something I find of interest, I owned 2 Ranger Horses in my life, really liked both of them, (but will not vouch for the all of the breed) 9Link: )

Clinging to my God, and my guns!