My two cents: I'm a backpacker from way back, but I got tired of packing elk out on my back and wanted to be able to get farther in. I thought a lot about what kind of packstock to get. I'm nearly 50 years old with very little equine experience. I did not want to be maimed or killed by my stock, either accidentally or on purpose. I didn't have or want to spend the years needed to learn to handle horses or mules. I didn't want my pasture to be grazed down to dirt, and my fences weren't all that great. I'd been on a few llama trips in the past, and after much contemplation decided to get llamas.

I bought 3 experienced packers and 2 young novices last summer. I worked with them over the summer and took them on their first pack trip last October, when I went elk hunting. I killed a bull and they made the packing easy. This summer I've taken them on 4 pack trips to practice more and get them in shape for fall. Things are going great.

I think all the benefits of horses and mules have been covered already. If circumstances were different, I guess I'd get myself a couple of mules. Anyhoo, here is what I have learned:

Llamas require very little maintenance. They don't eat much and are easy on the pasture. They don't challenge fences. They aren't cuddly. They are stoic and don't seem to get sick or injured. You can't work them to death. If they can't go anymore, they lay down. They enjoy chasing strange dogs that come into the pasture. We've had a black bear in the pasture once; the llamas ran at him and he ran off and that was that. Word amongst Colorado packers is that bears stay away from llamas. Cougars may be another story.

Packing with them is easy. Mine have carried up to 90 pounds so far without difficulty. On the trail, we get varying reactions from horsepackers. A lot of them seem to think we are granola sucking hippies from California. Horses often spook even though we get the llamas far off the trail as soon as we can. The llamas don't spook on the trail. They may stop and look and listen. They almost always see game before we do. When picketed out, they don't panic when they get tangled up, no matter how bad the tangle is.

Weight is still an issue. Llama packers can't take wall tents and such. My camp would never be mistaken for a horse packer outfit. I use a Kifaru tipi and all my backpacking gear. Now I can have some luxuries like a nice chair and better food. This year I upgraded to a Kni-Co stove.