Years back I bought a 308 in BDL/SS/DBM, and wondered why Rem built VSSFs in 12t, for 168s, yet put a 10, in the sporter I had, as if how many hunters would one might guess would use heavier than 168s? Never fired the gun, had thought I would use the actionf for a build, but plans changed.

Besides raw accuracy, ability to shoot higher BC bullets, my thoughts for a big game rifle was that all else equal, wouldn't a faster twist bbl lend itself to keeping the nose forward in a bullet that expands in a controlled manner? If so, one might get better odds for straight line penetration into/thru vitals, which I speculated may have explained why the 6.5's built such a reputation. If you had the bare minimum twist for accuracy to be optimized, would that bullet not likely want to Yaw on impact?

The military w/FMJs or 'non-expanding' bullets might prefer that for obvious reasons, but a hunter with expanding bullets might not benefit the same.

Back on a comment above on building a 14 twist, seems a few paragraphs on the 22-250 AI using 40 BTs at blistering speeds was touted as a nice set up for prairie dogs by a reputable author in a Nosler manual. Was that Steve Timm, cannot recall w/o looking it up, but I'd bet that bbl was a 14 twist, 12 at best if faster. 'Dogzapper' has done his share of PD hunting I understand.