Originally Posted by wahoo
For an all round gun, I agree the fast twist would be better. I just use mine as a varmint rifle. I'm guessing the all round western gun would be a 270/280/30-06, or have the magnums taken over?
Bill

Most definitely the calibers you listed and I would say also .308 and probably some .260 Remingtons by now too. The 7X57 has a small following too. The .300 Winny and the .375 H&H mag are the mags of choice for the real hunters as well as the before mentioned calibers.

The make-believe hunters use the most bone crushing (to the shooter) magnums they can find and fire a box of ammo a year at least that's what I notice at our range.

Don't get me wrong magnums are okay if that's what a guy wants and is willing to put in the time with them but most magnum shooters figure a magnum will make up for poor shooting.

There is nothing in Montana to hunt that a magnum is needed for. Your plain Jane calibers will work just fine.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude