Took me about a dozen trips to move all my stuff here from Montana, 2005�2007. Usually drove all night. Got pulled-over by a cop in one or another of four or five states, just about every trip, usually at night. Every one of 'em was very courteous.

Five states each way � Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico � never twice by the same cop or twice in the same state on any trip.

I still wonder what's so suspicious or threatening about an old guy in an old pick-up, pulling a trailer at night, intentionally slower than the speed limit. I suspect that they were acting on complaints from drivers who had to slow-down behind me on long up-hill pulls. There were a lot of those, a lot of 'em still furious when they were finally able to get around me.

One cop asked me "Have you been drinking, Sir?" Didn't pull me out of the cab or make me walk a line, touch my nose, snort into a breath-a-wheezer, etc. Was satisfied with "No. I don't drink alcohol."

Conversations were all short � little more than

"Are you all right, Sir?"

"Yes, no problem."

"Drive safely. Have a good trip."

One � Salmon, Idaho � suggested that stopping for the night might be wise, and directed me to a huge parking lot at a Mormon church. Suggested that parking under a light would be wise. Had a good night's sleep there.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.