When I was in Viet Nam, 68-69, my platoon sniper (Recon) had the M 14, except it wasn't called that. As I recall, it had an X prefix since it wasn't official. Later, when I went to the Army Sniper School as a civilian, we and the Army guys in the school, had the M 21 or whatever it was called, an accurized M 14 with a Redfield 3 x 9 ART scope. The instructors preferred the Leatherwood ART scopes, but they weren't being made when I went to the school. This was the same rifle as my Sniper had in Nam, but he had the Leatherwood scope.

The Marine Corps used a Model 70 in 30-06 early on, 66-67. This is what Carlos Haithcock used on his first tour. With a Unertl 12 X scope, which I recall from reading the book about him and the article mentioned on down the page. It was a 2 MOA rifle, according to what his C.O. later wrote in The American Rifleman in an article, I think titled "Marine Snipers." The bore was pitted but it was consistent at 2 MOA. Pictures of era rifles show a heavy barrel and what looks like a floated forend. The scope fogged up and had to be dried out between missions. I believe this, as it was before all the modern stuff we have now.

The Corps later went to Remingtons by 68, I guess, the Army stuck with the M 21s (or whatever) throughout the war, until they also went with the Remingtons.

In 69, my sniper used National Match ammo from Lake City. It was 68 manufacture, the white box with the stars on it. We used the same stuff when I was in sniper instructor school at Ft. Benning. This was about 84 or so.

My "knowledge" is mostly rememberances, and may not be totally accurate. I think I read the Marines used 03A4s in Korea and possibly early in Viet Nam, with the scant stock.

Last edited by Gene L; 12/18/09.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06