Originally Posted by AlabamaGene
Shrapnel-- I really would be interested in any background you could provide on the Montana thing you mentioned. I am a RS fan, but I am interested in learning as much as I can, good and bad.

I have known some other writers that worked with Ross at Guns and Ammo that didn't particularly care for what he wrote in regards to what he thought of the reader. I have no issues there, I just never saw anything that he was writing about that interested me enough to care.

As to the Missouri Breaks...

I was hunting the south side of Fort Peck with a friend of mine, we would come across the lake in the morning with a boat, then hunt south into the breaks. We had gotten as high as we could when I noticed one hunter in hunters orange and 2 others with him wearing just camo.

They were walking on the backbone of a ridge, skylining and moving down the ridge toward the bottom. I told Dave, I would bet it is 2 guides with one hunter. I asked him what he thought of the 3 fellows walking single file down the backbone. Dave figured they weren't hunting, as no one would travel like that if they were.

We watched them for some time from behind a Cedar just to see what would happen. They continued down to the bottom, sat down in plain view on a knob and appeared to be looking for deer. After a while, we decided to move on, we were well above them, just below some sandstone rims.

They stayed there for quite a while as we moved along the rims. I told Dave, "let's have some fun". So I took a shot into the sandstone cliff above me with my 25-06, then watched to see what they would do. They were looking all around to see where the shot came from and before too long spotted us sneaking along the base of the rims.

We continued on our way, shooting at rabbits and laughing at the neophytes in the bottom of the ravine. We covered quite a bit of real estate and they stayed in the bottom watching. We knew there probably wasn't any deer in the valley as they had just walked down the backbone of that ridge and we had been shooting rocks and rabbits.

Meanwhile they sat watching.

I Didn't have any idea who they were or what they were doing, but deer hunting didn't resemble their efforts.

When I got home I called a friend of mine that guided the breaks for Keith Atchison and told him about our encounter in what I thought would be a good remote area. He asked me what day in November that was and I told him. He then told me that it was Ross Seyfried who was guiding for him in the breaks. I asked him what he thought of his work and he just laughed, as they didn't get any deer. It wasn't all my fault.

Nate called me up about 6 months later and told me I had been mentioned in another hunting magazine, and I told him I hadn't done any such thing. He said listen to this, and he read out of Peterson's "Hunting" magazine, an account by Ross Seyfried of how he was guiding a hunter in the Missouri Breaks of Montana and that they were stalking a big Montana Muley buck, when gunshots rang out above them in the breaks. Further adding to the story, he said that there was another hunter above him shooting at another big Montana Muley buck.

In truth it was a rabbit, and he was no more stalking a big buck, than I was flying a helicopter. It also took some shooting before he put on his hunter orange, but he did put it on.

It isn't much of a story, it doesn't make Ross a bad guy, but I know for a fact he wasn't telling the truth.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]