Ross was instrumental in showing the world that the 45 Long Colt might just be the best hunting cartridge for a revolver.

I remember one time Hamilton Bowen (legendary Revolver smith) was visiting Ross at his ranch in Roggen and I just had to show up to see what the grownups were playing with one weekend.

Seems Ross felt it would be a good plan to see how much punishment the factory Ruger 6 shot .45 LC could take before the cylinder bulged. The plan was to keep increasing the amount of H110 under a hard cast LBT 360gr WFN and mic the cylinder after each shot until it moved.

We each had a duty in this experiment.

Ross would don a grinding face shield and welding gloves in addition to shooting glasses and fire each round as the powder charge increase.

Hamilton would carefully mic the cylinder over the chamber to see if the cylinder had moved.

I was ready to call hospital in the event things got out of hand and Ross actually blew himself up.

We eventually gave up when the powder charge was so compressed that it was a race to get the loaded round into the gun and out the door to be fired before the crimp pulled and bound the cylinder.

I will say on the last few rounds Ross shot Hamilton and I choose to observe the firing from the cab of Ross�s Toyota pickup. No joke, we climbed in the cab for the last 2 shot of the experiment.

Say what you want about Ross but he was willing to personally shoot a Ruger to destruction just to find out how much safety factor the higher performing 45 Long Colt loads had if some silly fellow tried to stuff one in a 6 shot Ruger.

Based on what I witnessed that day it is simply not possible the hurt a 6 shot Ruger with H110 and 360gr LBT WFN with a .450 crimp to nose length.

Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I have shot that revolver and it shoot as good as it looks.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.