Originally Posted by gmoats
Seyfried was good out improvising. Here's a stage that was set up by Cooper (or the Hampton's guys) that was intended to force the shooter to pull and hold a rope that lifted a top-hinged portal and shoot one handed thru the window. When Ross got to the barricade--he pulled the rope, grabbed and held it in his teeth and shot two handed!!! Everyone subsequently followed suit and by the end of the match, that rope was nasty!!!
[Linked Image]

very nice pics--that was back in the era when practical shooting was truly practical--it made good defensive sense, and then some. that rope just had to be putrid--laden with all manner of baddies...

improvisation combined with quick thinking is the key to everything--like when armstrong and aldrin used a ball point pen to mitigate a problem on the ascent stage on the lem--for they had inadvertantly broke off the switch while pulling on their eva suits--without a workable solution the engine would not have fired, leaving them stranded on the lunar surface...

it truly amazes me how some folks "can't think on their feet"; for example,

about 35 years ago, my wife was teaching a night class in stained glass. her students were all very wealthy--doctors and lawyers wives, a few well to do businessmen, etc. we had just gotten married then, and didn't have any spare chump change laying around. my wife needed a good hand held shop brush to clean up the glass chips on the workbench. we couldn't afford to go buy one at the hardware store, so i handed her my old, 4 inch wide house painting brush--pretty pathetic for a shop bench brush, but it would have to suffice. she took it along for the first night of class--a night of discussion and going over equipment, etc. you guessed it--the next week they all had brand spanking new 4 inch wide house painting brushes in their kits--even though they all likely had a true, good shop bench brush at home already--if not the very best in the latest ultra portable shop vac--too funny...

but going back to practical shooting, improvisation, and thinking on your feet;

lately there has been an upsurge in making instructional dvd's for tactical shooting--and without a doubt, some have useful tips. in the past few years there is now the concept of "taking a lateral step while firing--moving off-line", and in some applicable cases it just might be ok. nevertheless, like lemmings marching towards a cliff--today there is more than a rash of tin horn pistoleros blindly engaging in this maneuver for every shot/position. but if one stops to think about it, in many cases it is of little help--for all kinds of people regularly train on gunning movers--and it is essentially about as easy to hit someone at close range while they are moving/stepping laterally--as it is if they're standing still--unless their lateral step is to get behind suitable protective cover. however, an often unintended consequence of this "lateral step" is one of inadvertantly tripping or stepping into or onto something, and losing one's balance--which has happened to me a few times on a construction job site where i am so focused on what i am doing that as i sidestep for better leverage (or whatever), i have tripped and gone sailing to the floor. if a chap blindly trains for this in every instance, and then perhaps eventually finds himself in some type of a threat situation such as in a darkened room that is crowded with junk, etc., and quickly sidesteps, he may likely lose his balance--and even more.

i remember bruce lee's "second tenet", what he called "directness". i read that when a reporter asked him what that meant--bruce suddenly threw his wallet at the guy's face. the guy ducked. bruce told him that it wasn't necessary for him to get into a horse stance--you did what was natural--you ducked.

this is what Ross apparently did in that scenario--thinking on his feet and doing what came natural--all in the interest of obtaining the necessary edge...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...