Yes, I think maybe you're all correct. I think in the '94 when he says "I already have an improved chamber" he is referring to his shilen .22-250 Improved. I think he's saying "I already have a rifle in .22-250 Improved so I will rechamber this one in straight .22-250.

To add credence to that thought, in Sep-Oct Rifle Magazine (no. 197, pp. 43-44), Ross mentions he had a special 22-250 Improved built on a shilen action and brown precision stock, weighing 12 lbs, meant to live in a pickup and kill coyotes out to 500 yards without missing. He says it shoots .25 inch groups, but "never hit as well for me as the out of the box Remington Varmint Special," so again he implies it is likely not an Improved chamber on the Remington.

Despite my dearth of posts, I have been working on this stuff very hard. I have a copy of Gun Notes Volume II and I have found all the references to Ross. I am working through magazines too. I have put together a wiki but I need to get a little more in there before it "goes live" so that when I share it with you it will make sense what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks again for your thoughts and pictures. Look for the book to be complete in about 2035! (only slightly kidding, this is going to take a while).

-AG