Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
The Jeff Cooper/Bill Jordan debates of 1911 vs Revolver were some of the best in print.

Dan

There was no publisher-inspired debate between Cooper and Jordan. I had the priviledge of being on an NRA committee with both of them (inaugural "practical shooting" committee, later euphoniously misnamed, "action shooting" in 1983). I can tell you that there was little rapport and no love lost between them. It was more a Keith/O'Connor relationship than anything else. They were at odds on almost every issue. Jordan, Keith and especially Askins took swipes not so much at Jeff personally as they did the upstart "Combat" shooting of the day which they saw as a fabricated event to insure the dominance of the 1911. None of them could match Cooper's intellect nor his biting sarcasm.

Regarding Seyfried's writing background---the first by-line that I saw of Ross' was a response that he wrote in the American Rifleman to a critique that Askins did for AR about the 78' US IPSC Nationals (which Ross won). Askins pretty much ridiculed the activity as a bunch of Walter Mitty-types that couldn't shoot well enough to win at Camp Perry so they started their own game. Obviously Ross, and a few thousand others of us, took umbrage with his comments. The first full feature length "article" that Ross had in print that I remember was a match description of the 1981 World shoot in Johannesburg (which he won) that I believe he did for G&A's Specialty Books Division (annual, etc.) which I think Boddington was still editing at the time. Ross' writing style and photographic skills have improved dramatically since those times!!

Last edited by gmoats; 03/16/12.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.