Originally Posted by gaperry59
In response to Hi Vel about the .22-250 Model 700. As I recall, his Varmint Special stayed in its original factory chambering, whereas his Shilen DGA custom rifle was in .22-250 AI. He mentioned the Varmint Special in several articles over the years, and along about 1989 or 1990 all the G&A writers submitted a couple of paragraphs about their all-time favorite handload. RS's was the .22-250 with 55-grain Hornadys and I believe IMR 4064, because that was what he first tried when he bought the rifle in the 60's. He described the throat of his rifle being almost completely gone because he had to seat the Hornady so far out it was barely in the case. Then, in about '93, he wrote about custom rifles and mentioned having his Varmint Special rebarreled by Carolina Precision. I interpreted the article to mean that he was sticking with the original .22-250 factory version, indicating that he already had an AI version (the Shilen DGA). I could be wrong. However, I distinctly remember him in a later column mentioning that he could not get the new barrel to shoot as well as his old, so he ultimately sent the Varmint Special back to Remington for a new factory barrel, which made it shoot just like it used to.

I remember the same. I am positive he never had the original BDL Varmint Ackleyfied.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.