Again, really great stuff... I guess I have to add Cigar Aficionado and Peterson's Hunting to the list of periodicals. I understand he also has had pieces in American Rifleman early and late in his career.

I am still trying to figure out how to document this stuff. I think I will either put it in a shared google doc that people can see and add to if they want, or possibly a "wiki" hosted on my own server.

Someone mentioned the Remington 700 in .22-250, and I know I have read about it several places. That's great detail about the era of the checkering pattern; I would not have the expertise to know about that. There was a great picture in an 80s G&A that showed him with the rifle and what looks like 50 or so coyote pelts nailed up to dry.

I understand it was rechambered early on to 22-250 Ackley Improved, and he finally shot the barrel out in the early '90s, spending more than he originally paid for the rifle on the rebarrel job (I guess not hard if you held it through the inflationary '70s). Most interestingly, he refers to it as His Favorite Rifle of All Time.

I will turn to on this and share with you as I get further info

Last edited by AlabamaGene; 03/19/12.