Kurt, I have to give the nod to the American just for the ergonomics mostly, I like the way the stock feels better than the bigger and slippery Tikka stock. Bolt throw smoothness is about equal, the Tikka is more accurate but we�re only talking a couple of tenths. My Ruger .243 will put a 3 shot group in the .5� or .6�s, the Tikka can shade a half inch fairly easily and those little bugholes are not uncommon. The Ruger magazine seats more easily and more positively, you have to slap the Tikka mag to make good and sure it�s seated properly. Trigger pull goes to the Tikka for a bit more crispness but pull weight is close, about 2 pounds and change for the Tikka and right at 3 lbs 2 oz for the American with the stock trigger spring.

Tikka shot themselves in the foot when they changed the .223 which I have from an 8� to a 10� twist, I ordered mine expecting the faster twist and it came in with a 10" twist.

I�m not quite as critical about small stuff as some folks so I enjoy both of them for what they are. Either one is equally conducive to hitting an 8� gong from the kneeling position which is most of my shooting.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!