Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Originally Posted by TopCat

The main design point of the RAR stock and bedding system is that it provides a solid lock down into the stock and is very light weight and inexpensive to manufacture. Bedding would not offer any improvement to that design, so a higher quality stock that can be bedded is not necessary.

The Ruger stock is a purely functional item as a handle to point the barrel, and while it is severely lacks asthetic appeal to those who favor blue steel and wood, from an engineering design standpoint it is an elegant solution.

I can understand the bedding being usable but the forend in the ruger was about as stiff as cooked spagetti. I guess I can take a look at reinforcing it like I have on some other ghetto rigs. Thanks for the insight.

I think I'm going to pick up a RAR in 243 for the wife. I'm thinking some fiberglass poured in the fore end will stiffen 'er up.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson