Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Elk doesn't have to be that expensive. If you are a decent hunter you can go unguided anywhere in the west except a wyoming wilderness hunt. Even guided the going rate is about $5000 + the cost of a tag so figure $5750. Domestic airfare is cheap and driving is about the same but you can take your own gear and camp.

I know lots of out of state hunters that do an elk hunt for less than $2500 with everything included. Yes, you only get one animal but there are no malaria or other infectious disease concerns and the list could go on.

You can buy OTC tags at a lot of indian reservations for less than a grand if you want too. Most of those are not for trophy bulls but some are. Do your research.

The dollar amounts I posted was an attempt to try and compare as accurate as possible apple to apple

Fully outfitted with all meals and lodging plus all transportation. Just bring your rifle and clothes.

Yes you can hunt elk inexpensively and I still do. The diy hunts out of a tent are the most rewarding withoutout a doubt IMO but that being said I have also wrote a big check for the easy route......
I hunted Vermijo in 2008 and the T-O a year later

As a hunting experience there is no comparison.....African or US because they truly are different but each is great in their own ways

The one true fact that can't be disputed......hunting out of state or out of country will cost you money

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper