Jorge, living in the west is no panacea. We have access issues and overcrowding of public areas too.

People like Greenhorn are unique and there are few of them. I have never had the budget for gas to drive to my zone (about 100 miles) and time to spend hours/days scouting. I have a family and when they were young, I helped care for them. Now that they are older and hunting with me, I find that school sports and their events help keep me busy. My job is very regimented and I can't drop things at the drop of the hat. My time for scouting is nearly zilch. I wish it were different.

Where Greenhorn rubs you wrong is that he assumes that because he lives in a rural area with quick access to scout, and the time (whether single, or with a very understanding spouse (or soon to be single) and a job which allows this extra time), then everybody should be able to do it, and if you can't/won't you are less of a hunter than him.

Also, in his experience, a guide is not required to bring great success. At this point in his hunting experience, he is not ready to consider other opportunities. And he may never change his preferences, and that is OK. Different strokes for different folks.

Once he gets older, or breaks a leg (that doesn't heal well), blows out a back etc, or maybe just gets a hankering for something different, then his attitude may change. Once he begins to explore other options, he will realize that he will need a guide/PH in other locales, that animals are different, and that there are similarities in game and terrain, there are differences. Not necessarily better, or worse, just different.

While I will continue to hunt deer and antelope, and the odd elk or moose in Alberta when I draw tags, I have been to Africa once. I am plotting to go again. The hunting is similar, but different, ditto the terrain. The variety of animals is amazing. The opportunity is amazing. The company (PH) was fantastic. It was nice hunting when I wasn't freezing my fingers (often the case in Alberta).

Being cheap, and realizing my physical limitations (rebuilt ankle on the right, nerve damage on the left that leaves it weak (bad back injury)), Africa is the answer for me. I can handle the terrain, although where I was, it was more mountainous and rocky than I expected. However, my trekking poles helped me overcome that. I may be slow, but I get there every time! When I compare pricing of GUIDED hunts in North America to Africa, there is no contest. My dollar goes a lot further in Africa. I get to hunt with my friend. In North America, I can neither afford a guided hunt for most species and on many, like sheep or elk, moose or caribou in some locations, if I am honest with myself, I can't handle the terrain anymore.

While I admire Greenhorn for his effort and dedication, I realize that I can never be him. That kind of effort and ability has passed me by.

For me, for something different, I will be heading to Africa. smile

Last edited by AB2506; 07/28/14.