What I don't get is why some people apparently look down on guided hunts and hunters--even some people who are guides.

I've been hunting big game for 48 years now. Was born and raised here in Montana so had plenty of public land to hunt, and also some private before anybody ever thought of leasing hunting rights. I've hunted all over the world now, but my wife and I still hunt public land in Montana every year, along with some private. We've taken whitetails, mule deer, pronghorns, elk, moose, black bear and bighorn sheep on DIY, public-land hunts, everything from eating meat to some very good trophies. Have also guided here in Montana, both on public and private land, both informally for friends and formally for a couple of different outfitters, helping other people who for whatever reason couldn't or didn't want to do it themselves, and never felt like putting them down for "cutting to the chase," or because they didn't do the whole thing on their own.

Have also hunted DIY/public in other states and Canada, but haven't in some other places I wanted to hunt, mostly because of laws requiring a guide, or logistical problems of getting on the ground. Didn't feel the slightest bit of guilt at "cutting to the chase."

Hunters used to be able to hunt DIY in a lot of Africa, and still can in a very few places. Hunters used to be able to go to South Africa and find a place to hunt on their own pretty easily, just by contacting landowners, but like Texas there isn't much public hunting land (maybe none) and they had to pay for any game killed, since it legally belongs to the landowner, and is considered a profitable part of owning land, since the meat can be sold to butcher shops and restaurants. I believe you can still do the same in parts of Europe, though getting a hunting license can be tough.

We were lucky enough to draw a few permits for more common big game here in Montana this year, and as a result will be hunting birds in September on public land partly to scout for big game. Will also be hunting private ground in November for deer, because a landowner friend invited us. Might get an urge to go hunt something I'd have to pay for, either in access or guide fees, though don't have any plans at the moment. Don't feel particularly special or guilty about any of it, perhaps because I've been doing it all for a long time, so don't know why some people have to make a big deal of either.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck