smokepole,

I'm one western hunter who's hunted not just whitetails but turkeys on public land in the East, and in several states. I did it partly because I'm a hunting writer, and wanted to see how conditions vary across the country so I can provide more realistic advice. But I also did it because I have friends across the country and like to spend time with them, both hunting and hanging out. Of course, some of the same people have hunted out here with me, and were blown away by the relative abundance of both game and public land.

But none of North America compares to the abundance of Africa, and I'm not talking about fenced ranches. I've hunted wild Africa several times, and it's as much different from hunting in Montana as Montana is from hunting the eastern U.S. I also find it baffling how many people who obviously love wild country and wild animals don't feel the slightest pull toward Africa, still the most diverse collection of truly wild country and game left on the planet, despite too many people causing wild Africa to shrink more every year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck