Originally Posted by smokepole

However, I do believe that bagging the same bull (or buck) on your own, on a public land DIY hunt is much more of a personal accomplishment. And much more to be proud of. And some guys will leave out the part about the guide, or the part about paying to hunt a high-fenced South Texas ranch for a genetically-manipulated and spoon fed "monster buck." To me, that's nothing to brag about. I think that's the source of the disdain.

This hits close to home for me and it has nothing to do with Africa. I'll scout for elk year round and be thinking ways to make public land DIY elk hunts successful in future years. It's low budget. I suspect that it is not so much different for Greenhorn, Smokepole, and some others.

We've seen the guys that kill a cow on a guided hunt, or on a ranching for wildlife hunt, or a guided hunt on a private ranch, then post 15 photos of it along with their entire history, want to know where their statue will be built, but then not mention that the hunt was guided or private or both. After being on the forum a few years you begin to figure out who those guys are.