smokepole,

Oh, I freely admit that my non-understanding of other hunters' non-curiosity about the wild outside of their own corner of the world isn't rational. And I also freely admit that my priorities are obviously different than most people's. Despite having hunted Cape buffalo a few times, I'd rather hunt wild pheasants--which would probably baffle most other hunters. (At this stage of my life I might even say the same thing about elk--but will hunt both elk and pheasants this fall.)

It also baffles me that some hunters NEVER hunt their own states, instead traveling elsewhere for ALL their hunting. One of these is a well-known writer who'd never "stoop" to hunting whitetails anywhere--and has no interest in elk hunting. But he's a good friend and I do understand that's his deal.

By the way, I have hunted both public and private land in the Midwest. In fact I've hunted over half the states and provinces in the U.S. and Canada, and even hunted deer in several other countries. But once again, I admit my compulsions are probably baffling to others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck