Originally Posted by m77
Although I have never hunted Elk, I would hunt South-Africa without taking any trophies back. Take excellent pictures and have them enlarged and framed, as for me it is about the experience and not the trophies we take back. If I look at the prices mentioned for Elk, I would rather hunt 4 or 5 animals around here with the right guy, as 5 animals vs 1 would simplify the decision for me. I am not for one moment saying an Elk hunt would not be an exceptional experience, I just think you might be able to double the experience in South-Africa.

Pieter

Pieter, that's what my mate and I did in Namibia 3 years ago.

I came away with a lot of photos, one set of warthog tusks and an awful lot of memories of the hunting and the good times we had.

The most powerful memory is late on the afternoon of our last day when the 'cruiser scrabbled up a red dune and the PH shut it down on the top.
Both my mate and I were a bit puzzled at this, Arno, our PH said, "There's something we have to do." He walked to the rear of the vehicle and pulled a six pack of Tafel out of the cooler, handed a bottle of each of us and added,
"Before you leave Namibia, you've got to sit on the top of a Kalahari dune, drink beer and watch the sun go down."

That's exactly what we did..