Mikes Grilled Duck Breast

Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Look guys, there's no secret to it. Hoop and I learned this simple but delicious method from Chris Capell the owner of Dizzy Pig rubs when we were at his competition school. Chris served the sliced breasts as appetizers and everyone inhaled them. This is honestly in my top five of best things I've had to eat.

Fire up your grill and preheat for a hot fire, at least 450F. A charcoal fire is best.

Wash the breasts in cold water and pat dry.

With sharp knife, score the skin through, just to the fat layer, in a crosshatch pattern.

Flip over (skin down) and apply a generous layer of Tsunami Spin rub. Other rubs will work, but Tsunami Spin is a perfect match, and really makes this dish special.

After the rub has set up (5 or 10 minutes) flip over so the skin is up, and shake a lighter even layer of Tsunami Spin.

When grill is hot, put duck breast on skin down on a clean grate. This is the tricky part. You have to keep a close eye on it as the fat can quickly catch fire and scorch your breast. I watch through the top vent of my cooker, and when I get a flare up I close the vents until the flame goes out. In less than 5 minutes (if your fire is hot enough) you should have developed a nice brown crust with a little bit of char. It makes sense to cook in small batches, 1 or 2 at a time, to reduce flare ups from fat.

Flip over skin up once you get the brown color you want. Take it as far as you can on the skin side to render out as much fat as possible (watch for flames!) without charring it black. Go a few more minutes on the second side, being careful not to overcook.

Good duck breast is best served rare to medium rare...we pull it off at 130-135F internal temp, and usually get a carryover to 140F during the rest. The hotter you cook, the more the internal temperature will rise after removing from heat.

Let duck breast rest on a cutting board for five minutes.
Slice with a very sharp knife against the grain so each slice has a piece of skin and fat (yummy fat).

[Linked Image]
Recipe and photo credit Chris Capell, Dizzy Pig

Mike

Mooners!!

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Let them sit out for an hour or so to get to room temp. S&P on both sides.

Small(tsp) amount of oil/bacon fat in a skillet on med heat. Put the duck breast in skin down and cook for maybe 8-10 minutes. You're going for a nicely browned and crisp skin. drain the fat if they start to drown. Skin won't crisp if they're floating.

Flip and cook another 5 minutes. Let rest. Should be medium or so.

For herbs, I'd do fresh sage or thyme in the skillet with the breast.

While the breast are resting, you could do a killer pan sauce with the herbs in there.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!