September Recipe Rob P

Originally Posted by rob p
Grandma's Sweetbread.

Yeah, this should be fun. Making bread is quite a trick. We make sweetbread for Easter and Christmas every year. We have it together for holiday breakfast with Italian Sausage and eggs. We also toast it with lots of butter. Mmmmm. This is my Grandma's recipe from our church's 1971 cookbook. I've been making it since I was old enough to stand on a chair. I'd love to see you all make sweet bread.

2 Envelopes of dry yeast. I use the rapid rise
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup 105 degree Water
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbs Anise Seeds
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
3/4 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Butter - 1 Stick!
4 Large Eggs
7 to 7 1/2 Cups Sifted All Purpose Flour

1. [Linked Image]

Melt butter into the milk and set aside to cool. *** Use 1 stick. I had to double the recipe because I had to give most of it away. Carry On!

2. [Linked Image]

Beat together your eggs, sugar, and salt.

3. [Linked Image]

Proof yeast. Add it to warm water with a pinch of sugar. It should foam up. If not, toss it and start over.

4. [Linked Image]

Choose your flavorings. We use 1T of Anise Seeds, and 1T of Vanilla.

5. [Linked Image]

Combine proofed yeast with the butter mixture and begin adding flour 1 cup at a time, beating together. You'll have to switch to a strong wooden spoon, or get your hands dirty.

6. [Linked Image]

7. When the dough starts to pull away from the bowl, flop it out onto a flour covered board (or counter top). Sprinkle with flour and begin kneading. I roll dough forward, ball up, and roll forward again. Over and over. For 10 minutes! You should have a nice soft, smooth dough.

8. Place dough in a large oiled bowl and cover with clean towels. Let rise in a warm place 2 hours, or more, until doubled in size. I like to light the oven for about a minute, turn it off, and pop the dough in there. Warm, no drafts, perfect!

9. Punch dough down, flop back on your cutting board and divide into 3 or 4 loaves. Place onto oiled baking sheets and cover with towels. Let rise again 2 hours or more, until doubled. Again, warm, draft free place.

10. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. You have to stop, pull out loaves and tap them. They shouldn't feel very dense. You're going to get nice brown loaves, but you want to go a little more, until they cook through.

11. [img]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff37/puckett93/014-1.jpg[/img]

Brush loaves with melted butter. Set aside to cool.

12. [img]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff37/puckett93/015.jpg[/img]

Slice and enjoy.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson